Wednesday 8 February 2012

Dumped

Dumped was created for the sequential image project and taught me a lot about designing a 32 page picture book. I'm generally quite pleased with the outcome, although it is largely unfinished and there are quite a few changes I would like to make to it. I feel a little bit bad that it portrays kennel life so bleakly. Shelter kennels are not a particularly nice place for dogs to live, but they are provided with lots of enrichment devices and bedding to make life more enjoyable. I decided to leave these out because I the print element of the illustration requires simplicity to make the most impact. I feel like I am doing a dis-service to rescue charities, but at the same time I think the desolate isolation of the kennel works very well to emphasize Squids loneliness and isolation.

No comments: